Friday 13 June 2014

Simple Pleasures...

* Afternoon tea for two at a beautiful country house hotel with my best friend - no husbands or children in sight! Bliss!
Rushton Hall

* A jug of flowers on my stair windowsill that I pass & admire multiple times a day - scented stocks and peonies. Can't wait for the peonies to open into all their glory.




* More embellished baby items - crocheted edge muslins this time!



* Strawberry picking with little G. Last year they were grown up high, at his eye level, so very easy to pick. Wasn't expecting to be crawling around my hands & knees to pick them this time, due to my enormous belly! They were so delicious though, so worth the effort - can't beat a British strawberry, freshly picked, warm from the sun...





* A big slab (for it was most definitely not a piece!) of raspberry & coconut cake for me & a smarties cookie for little G in the cafe at the strawberry farm after a hard half hour of picking 






* A big bowl of freshly picked strawberries & cream later on...




* a spot of Jam making - Strawberry & Prosecco Jam - totally delicious!


* Hot jam scraped from the empty pan on crusty white bread - on a par with licking the whisk & bowl after making a cake!

I'm planning rhubarb & prosecco jam later (if Mr W didn't finish off the open bottle of prosecco while watching the football last nighy!) as I spotted some rhubarb stalks ready for harvesting in the garden yesterday. I thought our rhubarb had had it this year, but it seems to be putting on a last spurt!

* Thank goodness for my (ever-growing!) collection of birkos in this warm weather. Putting on socks and shoes has become rather an ordeal of late, so my trusty birkos are getting plenty of wear. I think I may be slightly addicted though, as I now realise that I have pink, red, lilac, brown, black & bronze ones!! I only wear these threes pairs regularly though, as they are so much prettier than the other pairs.




* A big frothy cappuccino. I discovered some instant cappuccino sachets which are pretty delicious for instant. I treat myself to one every couple of days when the boys are both at school & nursery - a peaceful half hour.




* I do so love this mug. I spotted it in an antiques/junk shop but it was brand new. My eldest son is called William and we call him Willie quite often. When he was a baby, Mr W would come in from work calling "where's my little Willie?"!!! So when I saw this, I just had to get it!




* My biscuit tin - a mini replica of our Aga. So cute!



* Lemonade ice lollies from the ice cream van in the park after school. Got to keep myself cool while the boys play! Loving all things lemon flavoured at the moment especially still-lemonade - so refreshing!

* Looking forward to a child-free weekend at home with Mr W. The boys are going to our friends' for the weekend which they have been counting down the days to! Tomorrow is baby D-Day, and it would be very convenient if baby decided to make an appearance sometime over the weekend when the boys are already accommodated elsewhere. Not sure baby is aware of the schedule though...

Have a lovely weekend!






3 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! That jug of flower is so pretty--and even more so when those peonies open up to full bloom. We're loving strawberries too at the moment. They're just so sweet! I'll tell my husband about the strawberry& prosecco jam. It might get him intetested in jam making. I bet it is delicious..
    The cake looks yummy and well deserved. Looks like little G enjoyed his cookie too..I'm loving your collection of Birkies sandals and your biscuit tin is adorable...Glad to hear you had a lovely afternoon tea with your best friend. Enjoy your weekend! ps. Good luck with baby's arrival!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to let you know that Strawberry & Rose Wine jam is even better than the prosecco one! Decided to make some more to use up the rest of the strawberries but had no prosecco left, so used the rose instead! Thanks for the kind words! Really hoping baby comes soon - suffering a little with the heat (4am now & can't sleep as too hot!) & our house stays pretty cool really as it so old!!

      Delete
  2. So many lovely things in your post. I love your embellished muslins, and that prosecco and rhubarb jam sounds amazing. I see you've not posted for a couple of weeks - I hope that you're well, and that the new baby arrived safely. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete