Thursday 25 April 2013

Read it and weep!

Shortly after moving here I was invited to join a local book club by one of the lovely mums I met in the village. She was hosting the book club meeting that night and invited me to come along even though I had not read the book. It turned out that out of 5 people only one had actually finished the book and 2 others were only a couple of chapters in. I've come to realise that the book club meetings consist of 4 hours of chat, wine drinking and cheese eating and approximately 15mins of book discussion!

Last night it was my turn to host book club. So I dutifully toddled off to Waitrose to select some fine cheese and crackers (I don't know some of the book clubbers very well, so wanted to make a good impression!). Packed the boys of to bed as soon as possible so that I could give the downstairs a once over (did I mention I wanted to make a good impression??).

I needn't have worried. I forget what a nice bunch they are. All mums of primary school age children from the village. All very down to earth and welcoming. All came with wine and snacks. All enjoyed the cheese. 

For once, we had all read the book. And for the first time (since I've been going - this was my 4th meeting) we had a long discussion about it. 

If you're interested, the book was The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I can recommend it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Snow-Child-Eowyn Ivey/dp/0755380533/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366914234&sr=8-1&keywords=The+snow+child

Eventually got to bed about 12.30am - 2 hours after my usual bedtime. I was not feeling top notch this morning. The morning school run felt a lot more arduous than normal. I'm not sure all this reading is good for my health!

Early night tonight methinks!


No comments:

Post a Comment